Reduce game network latency in Windows 7 or Vista

After installing Windows 7 I noticed a slight increase in network latency in several online games. It wasn’t a big deal – I’m talking 200-300ms, but this is on a connection that was reliably < 100ms in the past. Beyond the obvious settings in Windows or on your router, here’s a list of tweaks that may help quite a bit. It involves disabling Nagle’s algorithm, also commonly known as TCP no delay, which is basically an optimization of network traffic that tries to reduce overall packet volume but can cause extra latency in the connection. This should work on Windows 7 or Vista, though the same principle can probably applied to other operating systems as well.

1. From a command prompt (usually in All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) run “regedit”
  2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
  3. Browse the items under interfaces until you find one that has an IPAddress entry matching the network interface you want to affect (typically LAN IP addresses start with 192.168 or 10.0); note that if your IP address is automatically assigned by a DHCP server you may need to look for a matching DhcpIPAddress instead of IPAddress
  4. Right-click on the interface and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it “TcpAckFrequency”
  5. Right-click the new TcpAckFrequency value and select Modify, enter “1″ (Hexadecimal radio button should be selected)
  6. Right-click on the interface and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it “TCPNoDelay” (note that TCP is all uppercase this time – that’s intentional)
  7. Right-click the new TCPNoDelay value and select Modify, enter “1″ (Hexadecimal radio button should be selected)
  8. Verify that both TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay now show up in the adapter’s property list with types REG_DWORD and values 0×00000001
  9. Exit regedit and reboot (reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect!)
  10. Play a game and enjoy your new low ping

This decreased my ping in most games from 200-300ms to 50-60ms, which matches the latency I would see via a tracert to the game’s server.

, , , , ,

1. #1 by Lighter on February 18, 2013 - 10:05 am

Nothing change. i followed everything carefully, i also tried to do make a TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay in 3 subfolders that has DhcpIPAddress on it. i have four subfolders under Interfaces.

2. #2 by Daramutre on April 1, 2013 - 10:42 pm

hi mate, i play aion and ping at abot 470, tried this and ping did not change at all. game server is in america and i am in Australia. if i use a program called battleping my ping goes down to between 250 and 400. my question is, is there anything else i may have to change other than your guide to this to make it work. both TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay show up in list with the value of 0×00000001 (1) but no change to ping :(

3. #3 by fallen on May 13, 2013 - 3:00 pm

hi i juat want to give u a big hand of a thanks it works perfect

4. #4 by Guilherme on May 17, 2013 - 3:59 pm

Thank you very much!

I’m a Diablo 3 player and my network latency was very high ( about 600/700 ms when playing at night). With your tips, my latency lowered to about 200ms.

5. #5 by Thorq on May 19, 2013 - 9:44 am

Im from argentina, and play with 650- 800 ping (yes, a lot), when used wtfast program, reduced my ping to 200-250 (that is the normal ping that i need) so, im play in siel server, anyone know if i choise another server redcue my ping? when wtfast connect, he connect with texas, but idk what server is in texas xD

6. #6 by John S on July 10, 2013 - 1:30 am

This is an old hack and was used for reducing Latency to the WoW servers for XP users. It did in fact work and most likely still does for XP users.
    This Reg edit has zero nada effect on Win 7/8 users. Can’t speak for Vista as that was installed/uninstalled same week.
    Won’t hurt anything but it don’t work either for the majority.

7. #7 by uzair on August 11, 2013 - 5:00 am

if you have a tp link does it effect people using it or does the speed remain the same?

8. #8 by tai game mobile on October 26, 2013 - 4:52 am

Its like you read my mind! You appear to grasp so much approximately this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I believe that you just can do with some % to power the message house a little bit, but other than that, that is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

9. #9 by トートバッグ 推薦 エルメス on October 29, 2013 - 6:54 pm

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. Nevertheless think
    about if you added some great graphics or videos to give
    your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this blog could certainly be one of the greatest in its niche.
    Superb blog!

10. #10 by ルイ ヴィトン 折財布 大人気 on October 29, 2013 - 11:35 pm

Simply want to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post is simply cool and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.

Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

11. #11 by Karo on October 31, 2013 - 5:23 am

Not sure what happened: I followed all your steps and while restart my laptop had some troubles.. However I had to boot my computer to an earlier date cause I wasnt able to get to the desktop anymore.. Strange thing now is that I have 0 lags anymore. Thx for your help..even if i’m not sure what happened there..

12. #12 by HappyPotato on November 9, 2013 - 4:20 pm

Wow this actually works! Thank you SO much!

13. #13 by HappyPotato on November 9, 2013 - 4:21 pm

Wow this actually works! Thank you SO much!
    Much appreciated!

14. #14 by 最安値 コート 豪華 on November 11, 2013 - 5:30 am

This article presents clear idea in favor of the new users of blogging, that actually how to
    do blogging.

15. #15 by 専門店 サンダル 2014 on November 18, 2013 - 7:47 am

I really like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve added you guys to my blogroll.

16. #16 by 注目 エコバッグ on November 25, 2013 - 4:14 am

I always emailed this webpage post page to all my associates, since
    if like to read it after that my contacts will too.

17. #17 by 正規 サンダル 上品 on December 1, 2013 - 12:19 am

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It
    truly helpful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to offer something again and aid others such as you helped me.

18. #18 by Jennifer on December 21, 2013 - 6:07 pm

Hello! I’ve been reading your web site for some time now and
    finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx!
    Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

19. #19 by BeanVodka on January 21, 2014 - 7:19 am

from 300 ping to 400.what the hell ?

20. #20 by Ignas on January 21, 2014 - 10:46 am

THANKS A LOT !!! ^^

21. #21 by Salman on March 29, 2014 - 9:44 pm

I have a 64 bit operating system(windows 7) So shall i use QWORD (64-bit) instead of DWORD (32-bit)??????

22. #22 by KrisMary on April 1, 2014 - 10:00 pm

it works!. thank you :)
    from 175ms – 50ms

23. #23 by Meanie on April 25, 2014 - 1:13 am

Salman :

Allways use Dword, the 64bit and 32bit in Qword and Dword dont mean operating systems(trust me) Anyways this guide Didnt work for my W764bit, but it did used to work on winXp

24. #24 by mrjojo on July 17, 2014 - 6:59 am

Didnt work for me , my ping’s still the same. :(

25. #25 by new small businesses on August 27, 2014 - 1:58 pm

Hey! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone4.
    I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Thanks!

1 4 5 6
(will not be published)

1. Reduce game network latency in bWindows 7/b or Vista « Life amp; Code « Windows 7 Live Info
  2. Windows 7 gaming latency fix - Windows 7 Forums
  3. Improving FPS and latency « pwnwear: tanking and thinking
  4. Reduce game network latency in Windows 7 or Vista « Life & Code | Windows (7) Affinity
  5. Aion China went down? - Page 19 - AionSource.com
  6. Aion China went down? - Page 20 - AionSource.com
  7. Reducing Game Network Latency :) - AionSource.com
  8. How to improve your latency/lag - AionSource.com
  9. Latency fix for Windows - BattleForums.com Blizzard Gaming Forums
  10. links for 2009-10-15 | On9 Systems
  11. is lag hurting my dps - The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions
  12. Latenzschwankungen unter Windows 7 | PC-Users.de
  13. Left 4 Dead [STEAM] [L4D 2] Massive Ping Probleme | PC-Users.de
  14. Windows 7 - The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions
  15. PlayDota Garena Group - Page 48 - DotA Forums
  16. [Warcraft 3] it lags on windows 7 - DotA Forums
  17. Windows 7 General and Audio Lag (Severe)
  18. Daily Links 7. May 2010 « My Workstation Blog
  19. [Warcraft 3] Dota on Windows 7??? - DotA Forums
  20. Lag spike issue.
  21. [Software] Win7 makes wc3 lag unbearable - DotA Forums
  22. [Software] Windows 7 / Garena Delay Issue - DotA Forums
  23. Does Disabling Nagle's Algorithm Reduce Latency? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
  24. TCPAckFrequency - Gaming Latency reducer? - HEXUS.community discussion forums
  25. Mediafire