Archive for June, 2010
Yes, we already know, but here’s a really entertaining video to prove it.
Yes I know I should expect a rush, but one of these days will Apple and AT&T get their shit together? I say AT&T because the main storefront is super fast, but as soon as it’s time to enter my phone number and have my account verified with AT&T the process grinds to a halt. You’d think it’s sending my account info through their 3G network. After a little over an hour of the five screens below I managed to get my first order through, and almost another hour later the second. Then the store went down again just after I got both confirmation emails. Guess I got lucky on this one.
One of the biggest “wow” moments for me at Google IO a few weeks back was seeing Google’s Speed Tracer display performance data from the server right alongside the client. I immediately downloaded a copy of Spring’s TC Server to see how they did it, and quickly realized that it’s very container-dependent: custom deployers, configuration, etc. all of which make it a really power tool for simply dropping in any web application and getting their whole performance dashboard, but difficult to use in a broader context. It seemed to me like a simpler solution could give the same great end-to-end snapshot of a request in Speed Tracer without the heavy footprint, not to mention an option for those of us with applications that simply can’t run on TC Server.
A couple days and much caffeine later, I was right! It’s become my newest Google Code project, spring4speedtracer. Not a very inspired name I know but it gets right to the point.
I spent a little time digging into the mostly undocumented Speed Tracer API an quickly learned that the key to displaying server data is just a response header on any request that it traces. If the header is present, Speed Tracer will query that URL for a JSON payload containing the additional data and display it in a tree for the user. Really all an application needs to do is bundle the data in the right format, set the expected headers, and support retrieving it via some URL.
This was enough to convince me that a simple library could be built just to take advantage of the Speed Tracer API and present server trace data without all of the other monitoring and tracking features of TC Server. I decided to drive my approach by that immediate goal: I want to see end-to-end profiles of my GWT applications in Speed Tracer where the server is a Spring application running embedded in Jetty, on JBoss using JEE features, or really anywhere else. Some minor configuration (editing web.xml or a Spring application context, and dropping in an extra jar) would be a fair tradeoff for it working in any container.
The first cut will happily trace any public method invocations on @Service or @Repository beans throughout an HTTP request and show them in Speed Tracer just like Spring Insight does. It does this with three beans and one filter: basically a repository for the trace data, an aspect to perform the trace, a writer to turn it into JSON, and the filter intercepting HTTP requests to enable the traces and publish them to Speed Tracer.
Adding spring4speedtracer to an existing project consists of adding the jar and dependencies (really just Gson since the Spring jars are probably already there!), adding the filter to web.xml, and importing the provided Spring context inside the existing one. Or, for more customization the beans can be wired in directly, possibly using extended versions that have different pointcuts determining what gets traced, integrating with a more long-running tool like Spring Insight, etc.
For some basic safety I’ve added support for toggling traces with both a Java system property and a request header, allowing it to be controlled globally at the server and/or per-client. When traces are disabled the overhead is very trivial (just a boolean check inside the aspect). I was a little worried that adding another proxy to every @Service and @Repository would cause problems, but after trying it out in a couple complex projects it’s been working fine. The main caveat I’ve seen is that it’s important to follow the AoP dynamic proxy vs. weaving conventions: if the bean has at least one interface then it’s going to get a dynamic proxy, so other beans must inject the interface, else if it’s just an implementation then it will get byte woven. But any beans lingering around with multiple interfaces and some beans still injecting the target type will break. Removing the interface or changing everything to use the interfaces fixes the problem.
The result is definitely cool. I can now pull up end-to-end Speed Tracer traces running these applications on any server! When I get time I’m hoping to add support for tracing deeper functions like JDBC operations and somehow reporting work that’s farmed out to multiple threads during a request.